I've recently begun a crocheting a sock for my husband. I'm using a yarn called MadelineTosh that we purchased at Gotham Fine Yarn. I love the way it feels and the way it works up. However, the hook size recommended for my project must be too small for my tight stitching. I've been finding it very difficult to get the hook through both plies of the yarn. So, in performing this back-loop-only slip stitch (blo sl st), I find myself only going through half the yarn with the hook.
Not to mention that this is my first time using slip stitch for something other than finishing a round. Not only that, I must also use the fingernail of my index finger to drag that loop onto the hook. And because of the variation in the yarn's color the stitches appear to blend together. The best part, however, is the point when I'm just about to get that hook through the loop (front to back) and suddenly the train rocks and my tracking for a viable stitch in which to insert the hook begins again.
So, just this morning a started using a larger hook. Now, everything looks great, I'm not increasing and decreasing by accident, I'm not catching just one ply of the yarn, the ribbing produced by the blo sl st is finally uniform and this cuff that begins the sock is a much more substantial height than the narrow strip I was making.
Now, it's quite possible that many of my problems could have been taken care of by a simple pair of reading glasses from the drugstore. However, my only search for a pair of glasses was before I got onto the train this morning. I priced them at the Duane Reade and $20.00 was way more than I was willing to spend. I'm sure that I could find cheaper reading glasses if I continued my search. I'm not interested though. You see, if I add a pair of reading glasses to the contact lenses I'm currently wearing, I will truly have to admit the onset of aging.
Besides, do you know how many crochet hooks I can get with twenty bucks?
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Now, I must tell myself. "Nice job! Next time check the gauge. That way you won't end up having to rip the entire cuff."
ReplyDeleteBack to the drawing board.