Occasional commuter annecdotes, helpful hints, projects and ideas.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Really? You do it on the subway?

People are not often surprised by the fact that I know how to knit and crochet (and hopefully I will soon know how to spin). However, they are often surprised to find out that I crochet on the train. I guess it is in fact unusual to see a man crocheting on a subway train. As a matter of fact I rarely see people crocheting or knitting on the train at all, men or women. So after all, I guess that I should not be surprised by the reactions others have to me.

One night in particular, as I was knitting on the train (a rare occasion; I usually crochet), I noticed that I had attracted the attention of a man across the train. He eventually sat next to me and inquired about my knitting. He asked what I was knitting. I explained that I was knitting a washcloth. He reached out and felt the fabric I had knitted so far. He told me that he wished he had a camera because his friends would never believe that he saw a man knitting.

In no uncertain terms, I let him know that I wasn't the only one.

But he persisted and because of his bizarre line of questions, a woman across the way began to laugh at him. He pointed and said "She's laughing at you, that doesn't bother you?" My initial thought was "No, why should it? She's not laughing at me." But I recovered my control and said "No, why should it? Why should I care what other people think?" He then affirmed that I shouldn't care what others think. Then I laughed at him.

I regularly encounter people who are inquisitive and I enjoy talking about what I'm working on. Most of my experiences are pleasant or comical. I hope to bring you more of both.

2 comments:

  1. i get that too, but only when i knit on my knitting board. i get asked " what is thattttt"..UGH

    i swear, i should charge a fee to the people that sit there and stare at me knitting/crocheting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I have never ever een a man knitting or crocheting on the train here in Denmark - or any where else for that matter. I crochet on the train - and people leave me alone unless, they share the hobby.

    Why don't you show some of the things, that you crochet?

    Rikke

    ReplyDelete